Brighten your smile with dental veneers in Cranford
By Dr. Thomas C Streko
Teeth can become broken, discolored, or chipped for a multitude of reasons including trauma, genetics, or lifestyle habits. These flaws can cause many people to feel embarrassed about the appearance of their smiles. Porcelain veneers are a solution that can give a brand new look to the smile. Veneers are an excellent, minimally invasiveoption to correct mild to moderate imperfections in teeth. They are also a great choice for patients who are not ideal candidates for teeth whitening
What are porcelain veneers?
Veneers are very thin pieces of porcelain that are permanently adhered to the front of a person's existing teeth. Veneers can generally be placed in two appointments. Because porcelain shares many of the characteristics of tooth enamel, they are a natural-looking way to dramatically enhance the appearance of your smile. Veneers can be used to address the following issues:
- Stained teeth – Teeth can become discolored for many different reasons. Consuming dark colored foods and beverages, tobacco use, and previous dental procedures like root canals can leave teeth looking dark, dull, or yellowed. Veneers give patients a sparkling, white smile.
- Teeth that are worn down, chipped, cracked, or broken.
- Minor misalignment.
- Poorly shaped teeth.
- Gaps – veneers can lessen mild to moderate spaces between teeth.
With proper care, porcelain veneers can often last many years. They require just good normal daily hygiene – brushing and flossing and regular dental check-ups. A few important things to note about porcelain veneers:
- Natural tooth structure under the veneers is still susceptible to decay.
- Daily oral hygiene is essential to prevent cavities.
- The color of veneers cannot be changed after they are bonded into place. If you are interested in teeth whitening, it should be completed prior to placement of veneers.
- Avoid grinding or clenching teeth as it can cause the veneers to crack.
If you are in the Cranford area and want to improve the shape of your teeth and the color of your smile, dental veneers may be the perfect solution. They are a natural looking way to mask a variety of tooth imperfections. To learn more about porcelain veneers, call Dr. Streko today at 908-666-4334 to schedule a consultation.